I went to Dymock's Bookstore (it is the largest chain in Australia, similar to Border's or Barnes & Noble) to find Australian Christmas storybooks. I am looking to take advantage of some after Christmas sales since books are super expensive here. First I checked online then went to the store to check out the deals.I found the right section but didn't notice a big SALE sign. I walked around and found two clerks - my conversation went something like this:
Me: "Excuse me, I was wondering how much your kid's Christmas books were on sale for?"
Clerk 1: "The sale is finished. The after Christmas sale was only from the 26th-31st."
Me: "Really? But you have so many books left."
Clerk 2: "They won't go on sale again, we will just ship them back to the distributor."
Me: "Well, if I order online I will get 15% off."
Clerk 1: "No, the website just hasn't been updated yet."
Clerk 2: "What books were you wanting? I could probably give you 5-20% off, depending on the books. Walk over and show me."
Me: *follow behind for the 30 seconds or so it takes to get to the section then show the man a few books* "But it just depends on the price as to how many I buy."
Clerk 2: "Hmmm, I could give you 15% off, I've already talked to the manager though and he said no to 20%."
Me: *totally confused by the entire interaction* "Um, thanks, I think I'll wait."
In case you missed a few reasons why I walked out of there wondering what just happened . . .
1. Christmas sale only 15% and over on Dec 31st?
2. I am at a major retailer in a mall about to negotiate prices?
3. Going from 20% to 15% off is only about $.50-1.00 difference, we are really going to negotiate $.50?
4. I was following Clerk 2 the whole way, when exactly did he talk this manager?
Oh, what a good Australian Moment to start off 2011!
1 comment:
I guess they don't know that Christmas stuff is marked down 75% after December 31. Just let me know what you want and I will see if I can find it in the USA. Silly people...
Post a Comment